Changing the name

Opening Day at Shibe Park, er Connie Mack Stadium, in 1953

The Philadelphia Athletics rename their ballpark 72 years ago today, switching from Shibe Park to Connie Mack Stadium.

The change is made to honor their owner and manager of 50 years from 1901-1950.

The name change on this day in 1953 also comes less than two years before the A’s leave Philadelphia for Kansas City and, eventually, Oakland (and now onto West Sacramento and, eventually, Las Vegas).

Once the A’s leave town, the Phillies become the full-time occupant of the once-grand stadium at 21st and Lehigh.

The Phillies stay there through the 1970 season, after which they move 10 miles south to Broad and Pattison, and into Veterans Stadium.

After sitting empty for five-plus years, Connie Mack Stadium is razed in 1976 to make room for a church.

Replacing a ballpark with a church

Previous
Previous

Three of a kind

Next
Next

Quote of the day: Walter Alston on Hank Aaron